Hair Rebonding is a hair styling technique which involves the
flattening and straightening of hair in order to give it a smooth, streamlined,
and ’sleek’ appearance. It may be accomplished by using hair irons and hot combs,
chemical relaxers, Japanese hair straightening, or Brazilian hair straightening.
In addition, some shampoos, and conditioners and hair gels can help to make hair
temporarily straight. The process is often called “rebonding” in Southeast
Asia (e.g. Malaysia and Philippines).
offers best hair rebonding tips and techniques to get that silky and shiny hair..!!
Hair irons and hot combs can only temporarily modify hair texture, whereas relaxers
and the other methods permanently alter the structure of the hair, although new
hair growth is not affected. The drug interferon alpha
has been reported as being shown to modify hair follicles causing permanent change
in a person’s hair texture.
What is Rebonding?
Rebonding is a chemical hair treatment that makes your hair straight, sleek
and shiny. It is a permanent procedure.
Each type of hair has a natural bond. Curly or wavy, are the result of natural bonds
that give the hair its physical quality. The cream softener or relaxant used in
the rebonding treatment breaks the hair structure. Then a neutraliser bonds the
structure again and makes hair straight. In simpler terms the rebonding treatment
changes your natural hair structure and restructures it.
Once your hair is straightened you have to touch up the new growth every three months,
six months or a year, depending upon your growth.
The process of Rebonding
The time taken to complete a rebonding treatment depends upon the length, type and
thickness of your hair. Hair till mid back can take about 8 hours or more
to be rebonded. A man’s hair might need three hours. Here’s the step
by step approach to rebonding.
- Hair is washed with a mild shampoo. No conditioner is applied.
- Hair is dried completely with a blow dryer keeping it on the medium level.
- Hair is separated into parts.
- The cream softener or relaxant is applied to every hair shaft, keeping it straight.
A thin plastic board is used to keep hair straight.
- Cream softener or relaxant is kept on hair for at least half an hour or depending
upon the hair type. Keeping it for too long may even harm hair.
- After that hair is steamed for 10 to 40 minutes, depending upon hair type and
condition, and then rinsed.
- Hair is blow dried and then keratin lotion is applied.
- A flat iron is used to straighten hair further and break any remaining curls.
The iron should not exceed 180 degrees.
- A ceramic iron is better than other metal irons.
- The salon expert will iron your hair until it is satisfactorily straight and shiny.
- Hair is again parted and a neutraliser is applied to set the bonds and stabilise
- The neutraliser is kept for at least 30 minutes.The neutraliser is rinsed off with cold water.
- Hair is blow dried and hair serum is applied.
- A last touch of ironing is given with the straightening iron. Hair appears silky
straight and shiny.
Precautions to be taken after rebonding
- Do not wash your hair for minimum three days. It allows
the treatment to set.
- Do not clip your hair, tie a rubber band or wear any other accessories in your
hair for minimum three days.
- Wear a shower cap while having a bath to prevent hair from becoming wet.
How to take care of rebonded hair
Taking care of rebonded hair is very important to maintain a healthy name. Only
a well-looked after crown of hair can stay beautiful, always. Here’s what you have
to do, to treat your rebonded hair with care and prevent hair loss.
- Use a shampoo for straight hair
- Use a conditioner every time you wash your hair
- Apply a hair serum after towel drying hair.
- Oil your hair regularly
- Use natural hair masks once a week before washing your hair. You can use aloe
vera gel, curd or olive oil with an egg.
- Oil and steam your hair every fifteen days. You can wrap a towel dipped in warm
water, around your hair. This will deep condition your hair.
- Consume a balanced diet. Include nuts and sprouts in your diet.
Hair that is taken care of will be frizz free and smooth to touch.
Rebonded hair is susceptible to dryness. Therefore ensuring that your hair remains
hydrated and full of life is very important.